Nov 06 2011
When making cards, I think it is fun to replace letters with bits of quilling. It adds such a touch of whimsy. When I ran across the “Big On Christmas” stamps from Stampin’ Up! I knew they would be perfect for my 2011 Christmas cards. As you can see, they had the same idea. Of course, I didn’t want to stamp the tree, ornament, or snowman (which I replaced with a snowflake). I wanted to quill those instead.
Unfortunately, having this idea and implementing it proved to be two very different things. You see, I am not a talented stamper and I was having a hard time stamping just the letter part of these holiday stamps. I tried adding ink to just the letters using a marking pen, but my hand would slip and I would invariably get ink on the picture portion of the stamp. Next, I tried covering the picture parts with tape, but that didn’t work for me either.
Finally, I decided to cut out the part of the stamps I didn’t want printed. It was a hard decision to make since there was a very good chance I could ruin the stamps, but I took my craft knife, held my breath, and carefully cut around the picture section of each stamp and peeled off the cut portions. Since the stamps were mounted on wooden blocks, the spacing and alignment of the rest of the stamp sections was not disturbed.
I then inked them up (I like using StazOn solvent ink since it dries quickly and doesn’t smear) and stamped away. As an added bonus, I was delighted to find that I hadn’t ruined my stamps at all. The cut out portions fit right back into their original places so the stamps can still be used as they were originally intended.
I am sure that if you look around you’ll find many other stamps out there that would lend themselves to this creative “altered art” technique.